Photo Gallery of Enlargeable Images Bottom of Page
              Click on right links to get information

Fairfax County & Alexandria

Giles Brent's Patent
1653/54, 1800 acres in Fort Hunt area on Potomac River north of Little Hunting Creek that may have extended as far north as what is today Alexandria; Giles and sister Margaret were Catholics and originally from Maryland; they were the first English settlers in Northern VA with a land patent on Aquia Creek in Stafford County; Giles married Piscataway princess from Maryland and settled on Chopawamsic Island in the Potomac River, Stafford County, VA, in 1649; their son Giles, Jr., was a major participant and serving both sides in Bacon's Rebellion in 1676.
Patents on Dogg's Island & Mason Neckndred
George Mason II's Newtown
c. 1692, likely dwelling on land first patented (12 on map) by Richard Bushrod in 1660, located at the Overlook a quarter mile east of Gunston Hall; Mason II was son of George Mason I who had first settled on Aquia Creek in Stafford County
George Mason II's Dogue Creek Property
West Grove
C. 1710, house built by Major John West; destroyed by fire 1861, Belle Haven Golf Course

Mount Vernon

1726-35 first dwelling; principal block of current house built in 1758; two story secondary wings 1774/75; north wing began 1776 with interior completed in 1787; land had passed down from John Washington's patents, Mount Vernon

Belvoir Manor

1741; Lord Fairfax purchased land in 1738-41 from earlier subdivided patents, Fort Belvoir Historic Site

Ramsey House

C. 1730-50, built by Catesby Cocke; bought by Edward Washington in 1742; most of early house was torn down in 19th century, Lorton 
Four Stairs
C. 1737 for earliest section, Great Falls
Alexandria Established
William Gunnell House
c. 1750, with 1770 log house on property, Great Falls
John Dalton House

Carlyle House

1751-53, Braddock's headquarters during the French-Indian War, Alexandria
Johnston-Hanson House
1752-77, early building erected around 1757 by George Johnston, Sr., and around 1772 by his son-in-law, Robert Hanson Harrison, 224 Lee South, Alexandria

Gunston Hall

              Early land patents in Fairfax County were highly speculative and often intended to claim headrights, rather than to settle on.  Thus much of the mid-17th century patented land was not immediately settled.   Robert Carter's "manor" system  for much of Northern Virginia meant that vast lands in western Fairfax, Loudoun and Fauquier counties contained few land-owning settlers until after the Revolution.  There were undoubtedly many crude and temporary dwellings thrown up on these lands in colonial times, but only those with evidence of their existence are included here.  The same is true for Alexandria.  Many of the lots sold in  the 1740s did not have dwellings on them until many years later.  Click on links to the right to get information on the houses!

Belle Haven Settlement
Early 18th century Scottish settlement with likely dwellings, Belle Haven
Western Branch (Occoquan) Patents
1650s, patents by Corbet Piddle, John Jenkins & Gervais Dodson on northen banks of Occoquan; river first explored by John Smith in 1608; no evidence of dwellings in these early years
First Patents in Mount Vernon Area
1657, 1000 acres between Dogue Run & Little Hunting Creek patented by Robert Castleton and Henry Vincent; claimed by Peter Jennings in 1660; after that went to Richard Lee; separate claim made by John Alexander and Lt. Col. John Washington in 1674/75; eventually Lee and other claims overturned in favor of Spencer, Washington and Alexander; no evidence of dwellings in these early years.
Ravensworth/Fitzhugh Patents
1686, 21,996 acres patented by William Fitzhugh from Stafford County up to the head branches of Hunting Creek in Fairfax County; no likely dwellings in colonial years; houses built on property were Ossian Hall off Braddock Road, 1783; Oak Hill off Wakefield Chapel Road, 1790, and Ravensworth at Ravensworth, 1796. 
William Wildly & other Patents at Fort Belvoir
Hunting Creek Warehouse
C. 1731, built by Simon Pearson;  sold to Hugh West 1735-39 and became known as West's Point; possible dwelling next to warehouse; at foot of today's Oronoco Street, Alexandria
Philip Alexander Estate
C. 1746, estate of 500 acres on land patented in 1659 by Dame Margaret Brent and 1669 by Robert Howson; possible dwelling, Alexandria
1749, land owned and farmed by Phillip Alexander and his cousin John Alexander plus others, was laid out in lots by John West; dwellings built slowly with most appearing in the federal period after 1789 and early 19th century
William Clifton House/River Farm/Wellington
1755, designed and constructed by William Buckland, Gunston Neck
James Keith House
Current brick house built on lot bought by James Keith in 1783;  evidence exists of earlier frame house on the site likely from the colonial period419 Lee Street South, Alexandria
George Washington's Townhouse and Office
1769 original house; reconstructed in 1960, 508 Cameron Street, Alexandria
Patrick Murray House
1775, 517 Prince Street, Alexandria

Green Spring

1777-84 brick house, 4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria

Lexington

Mansion built by George Mason V after 1784 but earlier house may have existed in 1775, Mason's Neck
Hope Park Mansion
Likely colonial (exact date unknown) built on land first patented by Cadwallader Jones in 1677; plantation built by Edward Payne in 18th century; later owned by David Stuart and Eleanor Calvert Custis, step-daughter-in-law of George Washington11807 Pope's Head Road, Fairfax
Malcolm Jamesson House/Mount Gilead
1651 for Richard Turney on Doggs Island & Mason Neck; 1653 for John Jenkin, Gervais Dodson, Thomas Speake on Mason Neck; 1654 for Richard Boren, Miles Cary, John Motrom, Newberry; 1657 for John Gosnell, Peeter Smith, Thomas Molten; 1660 for Richard Bushrod; and 1666 for Martin Scarlett; dwellings in these years unlikely, Gunston Neck
1657/58, 1000 acres patented by Wildly in what is today Fort Belvoir area; may have been settled by Dogue tribe; 1669 William Green patented 1,150 acres in same area between Dogue and Accotink Creeks; 1694 patent of 1000 acres to John Stoell and 150 acres to Thomas Ousley; McCarty family "Cedar Grove Plantation" was on site in 1718; it was this land that later formed the basis of Fairfax's Belvoir Plantation in 1740s
Prior to 1699, on land (10 on map) first patented by William Travers in 1670, head of Dogue's Creek 
Edward Washington House/Belmont/CockeHouse
1750-77, residence of Washington's Tobacco Agent, 207 North Street, Alexandria

Add Text Here...

1748/49 or possibly earlier (1724?); currently Alexandria's Visitor Center; evidence exists that house was moved from another location; current restoration not historically correct, Alexandria
1757, brick house built by William Clifton on Potomac River front property first owned by the Brent family; land purchased by George Washington and known as River Farm and leased to Tobias Lear; in the 19th century the property was owned by the Snowden family and known as "Wellington;" the house was eventually purchased by the American Horticultural Society at the request of the U.S. government to block a planned purchase by the Soviet Union to use as a retreat for its embassy;  today is the headquarters of the American Horticultural Society on East Boulevard, Alexandria
Late 18th century possibly colonial in colonial village of Newgate (later Centreville); was called Black Horse Tavern in 1786;  headquarters for General Joe Johnston in 1861;  5634 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville

Click on Images to Enlarge