Add Text Here...

Add Text Here...

Add Text Here...

Purtan (Purton)use
First land grant, 1649; first house mid-17th century; later changes and restorations, on the York River near Purtan Island

Gloucester County

Warner Hall 

First land grants 1635 and 1642; the house used by Nathaniel Bacon during the rebellion was built in 1674; burned in 1740; site of Washington ancestral home; current house a reconstructed colonial mansion built at turn of 20th century, overlooking the Severn River 
Patented 1662; likely dwelling late 17th century that has long disappeared; current house 1892, on Severn River near Eagles Point
Severn Hall/Severnby
Photo Gallery of Enlargeable Images Bottom of Page
               Click on right links to get information
John Robins House (Point Lookout Archaeological Site)
c. 1642, near Robins Neck
Church Hill (Mordecai's Mount)
First land grant 1650; house possibly built of brick in c. 1658; burned 1700s with remaining brick wing; that wing burned and frame house built on foundations in 1700s, north of the Ware River & east of Gloucester County Court House
Toddsbury/Mill Hill/Morven
Oldest part of house built c. 1658-69; additions made up until 1784, recently restored house called  "Mill Hill" on the North River near Elmington
Shelly
Lowland Cottage
1690 or possibly earlier, in Ware Neck on the Ware River 
Fairfield (Carter's Creek)
C. 1692; burned c. 1897-1900, on Carter's Creek, White Marsh Vicinity near York River
Land granted to George Minifie in 1630s; evidence of dwellings c. 1670s; new house built c. 1776; expanded in 1856, at the mouth of Timberneck Creek on the York River
Elmington
First land patents 1642, 1652, 1659 and 1665; dwelling on property sometime in late 17th century; later Georgian mansion built in 18th century; current house built 1848, on the North River
Poropotank/
Violet Banks
Likely dwelling second half of 17th century or early 18th century; houses now gone, near mouth of Poropotank River
Quest End/
Selden Site
First patent 1666, plantation with likely dwellings, late 17th or early 18th centuries, on the Ware River near Selden
Cappahosic House/Baytop
Land patented 1652 and 1702; house built c. 1712 or possibly later, on the York River at Cappahosic.

Seawell's Ordinary

Built c. 1712; addition in 1757; converted to tavern in 1871; private residence in 1948; moved and rotated to adjust to US 17 construction; restaurent in 1991; reopened as auto dealership in 2011, Ordinary

Little England

First land grant 1651, house built 1716, on York River near Yorktown and Quarter Point
Settled 1642 and patented 1666; brick house built prior to 1690; current house built c. 1836; restored 1938, on the Ware River near Zanoni
Timberneck Farm
Wing late 17th century; mid-section mid-18th century; orginally near Ordinary but dismantled in 1930s by CW and structure and interiors stored with plans to rebuild in Williamsburg; floor boards installed in Raleigh Tavern; reproduction using interior components built in 1952 in Williamsburg
Settlement and dwellings in mid-17th century have long disappeared; 18th century frame house burned in 1883; current house built 1885, near Powhaten residence site on the York River south of Rosewell
First land grants 1642-1652; house possibly built of brick c. 1658; burned late 17th century and frame wing added;  enlargement 1902; additions and renovations 1930; major restoration 1972; office/kitchen of current house possibly 17th century, on south side of North River west of Belleville Creek

Belleville

White Hall

Belle Farm

Wareham

First patented in 1650; dwelling in 1670s in which Governor Berkeley took refuge during Bacon's Rebellion; pre-revolutionary house is long gone; was on the Ware River
Fiddlers Green
Parts of frame house possibly late 17th century, near Gloucester Court House 
Gloucester Hall/Thomas Pate House
House built in 1660s where Nathaniel Bacon died in 1676, 7 miles north of Gloucester Court House
John Lewis Jr., House
House existed at the time of Bacon's Rebellion in 1676 that is long gone, near mouth of Poropotank River
Mount Prodigal/ Noane House
Probably early 18th century or possibly late 17th century, near Woods Crossroads
Abingdon Glebe House
Prior to 1724, St. James Anglican Church, between Gloucester and White Marsh

Rosewell

1725, on the York River

Roaring Springs

C. 1725, State Route 161 vicinity west of Gloucester

Marlfield

1732; extensions in late 18th century; no longer exists, southwest of Woods Crossroad 
Level Green
First land grant 1642; house built early 18th century; between the Ware and Severn rivers on penisula known as Robin's Neck

Glen Roy

First house possibly early 18th century is gone; Greek Revival built 1853; restored 2010, on the upper Ware River

The Shelter

Early 18th century house; expanded and remodeled in 18th and 19th centuries; destroyed by fire in 1925, on the North River 
Long Bridge Ordinary/Edge Hill House/Gloucester Women's Club

Click on Images to Enlarge

White Marsh

First land grant 1640s; main house built c. 1750; expanded c. 1800 with later additions, off the Tidewater Trail in White Marsh

Goshen

Oldest part of the house built 1750-60; addition of back building 1856; on the Ware River near Zanoni

Airville

Earliest part built c. 1756; later additions mid-19th century; modern additions early 20th century, on the Ware River overlooking Mobjack Bay

Sherwood

Mid-18th century, on the Ware River southeast of Gloucester Courthouse

Clifford

Colonial 18th century, on Tidewater Trail south of Gloucester Court House
Hockley/
Cowslip Green/Erin
Colonial 18th century, adjacent Lowland Cottage on the Ware River

Ditchley

Original house from colonial era; it was remodeled and renamed "Miramer" in 1862; that house burned; new one built in 1863 and called "Ditchley," on the Peninsula between Ware and North Rivers
Hail Western
Colonial era house burned; modern house now on plantation site, near the Ware River
C. 1750, near Gloucester Court House

Paradise

Land patented 1642; residence of Richard Lee with trading post and tobacco warehouse,  1653-56, adjacent War Captain's Creek near Poropotank River