Designed by Virginia Capitol architect Henry Cary, the Governor's Mansion was originally built in c. 1706-10 and completed in 1722, in Williamsburg, Virginia. Edmund Jenings oversaw what was at the time one of the grandest mansions in America. It burned in 1781 and was reconstructed in the 1934.
Alexander Spotswood (c. 1676-1740) was Lieutenant Governor of Virginia from 1710 to 1722. He was the first official resident of the Govenor's Palace and is known for exploring the Rappahanock and Shenandoah Valleys, developing Virginia's ironworks industry in Germanna, and reducing Indian raids on the Shenandoah Vally.