Jamestown

Click on Images to Enlarge

Soldier Pits
1607-08, Jamestown Fort
Governor's House/Row Houses
1611-14; Argall's extension 1617-19, Jamestown Fort
c1624-25, possible house on lot, New Town

c. 1625, Jamestown

c. 1610, Jamestown Fort

The Barracks

Yeardley House
John Pott Lot

Jackson House

c. 1624-25, New Town own

Peirce House

c. 1624-25, New Town 

Harvey House

John White's House (residence & warehouse)
Late 1620s, East of Fort, Jamestown
Richard Kemp House
First all brick house in VA; torn down by John Page in 1650s, New Town
Francis Wyatt's Country House
Gov. Wyatt bought Kemp House in 1641; Gov. Berkeley bought in 1644 and likely used for state business; sold to Walter Chiles in 1644, New Town
Walter Chiles/John Page/Wm. Sherwood Houses
Drummond House
Mid-17th century, site of Jamestown Fort
Merchant Row House
Likely a residence for prominent officials; Assembly meetings likely took place here.
Ann Talbott-Marable House/Workshop

c. 1660, New Town

May-Hartwell House

1661-99, New Town

Ludwell State House Complex 

Row House

Captain John Harvey Lot
c. 1624-25, possible house or houses on lot, New Town
George Menefie Lot
c. 1624-25, likely house on lot, New Town

Ralph Hamor Lot

c. 1624-25, likely house on lot, New Town
John Phipps Lot
1660s, house likely built on lot, New Town
Richard James I Sites
Sites with likely dwelling; burned during Bacon's Rebellion.
Nicholas Meriwether Site
1660s, likey house on acreage along Kingsmill Creek
       This is a list of the best documented dwellings/houses on Jamestown Island.  There were many lots on which houses certainly existed, but this list contains only houses and dwellings for which there is clear evidence of their existence.  Some escavated row house units were mixed residential and work buildings, and some were never finished.  For Jamestown Rediscovery's archeological reports see: Archeological Reports.   For a comprehensive study of Jamestown's land ownership see:  Documentary History of Jamestown Island, Vol. II, Land Ownership Also the NPS published a booklet, entitled Jamestown Archeologcal Assessment, which should be consulted. 
Berkeley built a 3-gabled row house in Jamestown but its location and existence is disputed.  The NPS believes this row house unit formed the nucleus of the later Ludwell Statehouse Group, but this may not be true.   Berkeley claimed to own 5 houses in Jamestown in 1676. 
Berkeley's Houses
Col. Nathaniel Bacon (cousin of rebel) Houses
Said to have had two houses in Jamestown, one on the site of the old fort
The Quarter (Mud & Stud Structure)
c. 1611, cellar may have been a 1607 shelter, Jamestown Fort
Rev. Richard Buck Site

Ambler Mansion

1710-50, New Town

Edward Champion Travis House
After 1755, through 1781 & likely until 1803, New Town
1620s, likely a dwelling on site, "Neck O' Land" across Back River
Built by Sir John Harvey; site of official Governor's business, 1632-41; first official State House, 1641-56; Governor Berkeley addition, c. 1642; damaged in 1656 but restored as residence until destroyed by fire in 1670, New Town

1632, New Town

c. 1663-98, west of fort

c. 1641-76, Jamestown

1641-44, New Town

1638-39, New Town

Built by Chiles in front of Kemp house in 1650s; Page tore down Kemp House before 1676 & built new house in back of Chiles house & in front of old Kemp house; damaged during Bacon's Rebellion; rebuilt and expanded by William Sherwood in 1671 or 1682; demolished and overbuilt in 18th century by Richard Ambler; on 66 acres plot of 1686 there was also Col.  White's House, New Town.

C. 1663 construction of 2 rowhouses on site containing old "country house," possibly built by Francis Wyatt; 2 more houses added shortly thereafter; 1664-65 a formal house was added on the west end; 1665 east house expanded; 1676 burned; rebuit 1684-85; 1694 restorations and additions; burned again in 1698, west of old fort and on current site of archaeology museum

c. 1683, site of old fort

c. 1660-99, burned in 1676 and rebuilt 1680, New Town
1654-57, along Back River

1650-1720, New Town

Two Timber Framed Houses
Dates unknown but possibly 17th century but definitely colonial