Peyton Randolph (1721-1775) was the occupant of house in the mid-18th century. He was the first President of the Continental Congress in 1774-75. Peyton was the second son of John Randolph, a prominent Virginian who was the only colonial born in Virginia to be knighted.
The Peyton-Randolph House was built by William Robertson in 1715, expanded by John Randolph in 1724, and completed by John's son, Peyton Randolph, in Williamsburg, Virginia. Restorations occurred in 1938-40; 1968; and 1997. The deep red house is one of the oldest and most beautiful in Williamsburg. It hosted French General Rochambeau and the Marquis de Lafayette.