Add Text Here...

Add Text Here...

Add Text Here...

Surry County

Hunting Quarter Plantation
Glebe House of Southwark Parish/The Old Glebe
1620s, inhabitants who came over before 1616 were entitled to be called "Ancient Planters"; there were four of these plantations on the Surry side of the James River in 1625; they were Burrows Hill, Pace's Paines, Captain Roger Smith's and Mr. Edward Blaney's; on Hog Island there were Captain Ralph Hamor's and Sir George Yeardley's; other Ancient Planters who either owned land or resided in Surry in the 1620s included John Dodd, Thomas Gray, William Spencer Thomas Gates, William Peirce, William Perry, George Crouch and John Smith, among others. 
Montpelier
As early as 1724 but possibly later, near Cabin Point

Click on Images to Enlarge

Photo Gallery of Enlargeable Images Bottom of Page
               Click on right links to get information
Smith's "New" Fort
1609, site of Captain John Smith's refuge fort, later an English settlement inland on Gray's Creek on the south side of the James River
Pace's Paines/Swann's Point/Mount Pleasant
1620, land first granted to Richard Pace; abandoned in 1624; patented by William Swann in 1635 as Swann's Point where a fine house was built in mid-1600s with farm buildings; current dwelling at Mount Pleasant first built in mid-18th century, on the south side of the James River at Swann's Point across from Jamestown
C. 1711, numerous dwellings at this time on land owned by William Hunt; current house built between 1745-72 by Henry Harrison; rear section added in 1887, near Hunting Quarter Swamp today in Sussex County which was formed from Surry County in 1754
c. 1617-19, plantation first established by William Powell; owned at various times by Governor Berkeley and the Ludwell family; current house built in 1829, on Cobhams Bay south of the James River across from Jamestown
Early Settlements in Surry
1620-23; there were 33 people living on the Surry side of the James River in 1623; there were 31 on Hog Island; undoubtedly there were many dwellings; census names for these settlements were Burrows Hill, Smith's Plantation, Pace's Paines, Mr. Blaney's Plantation, Chippokes Plantation and Hog Island; there were other small settlements not mentioned in the census as well such as at Gray's Creek, Bennett's Welcome in 1621 near present day Smithfield, and George Sandys' Treasurer's Plantation in 1625.
The "Ancient Planters" of Surry
1724,  near Spring Grove
Cedar Ridge
C. 1750, with later additions and renovations, east of Disputanta
Smith's Fort Plantation/Warren/ Rolfe/Faulcon House  
1751-63, build on land given to John Rolfe by Powhaten in 1609 as wedding gift after his marriage to Pocahontas, near Smith's Fort
Walnut Valley
C. 1770, slave quarters built in 1816, Chippokes Plantation State Park

Lightwood House

1760, 1795, near Smith's Fort Plantation

Claremont Manor

C. 1750-54, built by William Allen, Sr., on land first patented by George Harrison in 1621, at the intersection of the Upper Chippokes Creek and the James River
Ordinary at Cabin Point
Possibly colonial, Cabin Point
Tavern at Cabin Point
1770s, Cabin Point

Four Mile Tree

1745, built on land as a successor to the "ancient" plantations of Burrow's Hill and Pace's Paines, owned over the years by the Browne and Cocke families, east of Spring Grove and west of Swann's Point

Melville

C. 1727, near Alliance

Crump House

Possibly colonial, near Bacon's Castle 
1620-26; among the early land patents before 1626 were those of George Sandys, Sir Francis Wyatt, John Utie and William Ewen; although some of these may have been absent landowners, some undoubtedly had residence dwellings 
Pleasant Point/Crouches Creek Plantation
C. 1724, land patented in 1657, near Scotland
Early Landowners in Surry

Chippokes Plantation

1665; in 1650 Arthur Allen first patented 200 acres near Lower Chippokes Creek; bought 350 acres from John Richards in 1656; in 1661 purchased 500 acres between the Lower Chippokes and Lawnes Creek upon which he built the brick house in 1665,  west of Lawnes Creek on south side of James River. 
Bacon's Castle (Allen's Brick House)