1717 built by John Custis and often leased as a tenement; burned 1776; other structures and dwelling built afterwards on the lot; owned by Maupin family in 19th century; acquired by CW in 1929; archaeological study of foundation in 1931; most of the current house was reconstructed in 1932; the Custis Tenement Necessary is a CW original building; block 13, building 26A, lot 355, south side of Duke of Glouchester Street opposite Bruton Parish Church.
1714-15/mid-19th century; William Robertson acquired the lot in 1714 and likely built a house on it at that time; he conveyed the property to Philip Ludwell II in 1715; used as a rental or "tenement" house; part of John Paradise estate 1770-1839; house was altered and likely demolished in the Civil War; another house was later built on the lot; CW acquired property in 1929 and the current house was reconstructed in 1952-53; block 28, building 5B, lot 233, on the north side of Nicholson Street opposite Market Square
Click on Images to Enlarge
Photo Gallery of Enlargeable Images at Bottom of Page
Click on right links to get information
1662, Middle Plantation was established as a town and as part of fortificatons by Act of Assembly in 1632; it was developed in 1650s largely by Col. John Page; around 1662 Page built a brick manor house at the present-day site of the Bruton Heights School; was on the high ground between the head of Archer's Hope (College) Creek running east to Queen's Creek, on the outskirts of today's Williamsburg.
Brush-Everard/Thomas Everard House
St. George Tucker/Levingston House
1633-99, Middle Plantation Parish established in 1633; changed to Bruton Parish in 1674; William & Mary College established 1693; newly named Williamsburg became capital of Virginia Colony in 1699.
Custis Tenement/Custis-Maupin House
1717/18th century; first house built in 1717 by Archibald Blair; most of current house was likely built in the third quarter of the 18th century; restored 1930-31; front porch is 19th century; block 29, building 1, 1A, 3, 3A, 4A, 4B, 11A, lot 171, on Nicholson Street west of England Street
John Blair House & Kitchen
1720-23, easterly part of the house was built; named after John Blair Sr, a nephew of the Reverend James Blair, Minister of Bruton Parish Church; restored 1929; House 5 on lot 36, on the north side of West Duke of Glouchester Street
Before 1725; 1765; owned by the Prentis family for most of the 18th century; burned in 1842 and reconstructed in 1938; block 17, building 11, lot 51, on the north side of East Duke of Glouchester Street, on the corner of Botetourt Street
Robert Carter House and Office
George Pitt (Pitt-Dixon) House
1725-50; first house was razed and current house totally reconstructed to 1782 appearance in 1939-40; named after blacksmith Josias Moody who lived there 1794-1810; despite the reconstruction still considered a CW original building; block 2, building 31, lot 246; on the south side of Francis Street.
1730s (c. 1737), built as Williamsburg lodging for William Randolph and used as a rental property; reconstructed in 1949; block 17, building 9C, lot 52, on the south side of Nicholson Street.
1720, house built soon after this date after lot was sold to John Holloway; owned in the 1740s by Dr. John de Sequeyra, a physician at the Public Hospital and Williamsburg's only known Jewish resident; bought by Irish coachmaker Elkaneh Deane in 1772; reconstructed in 1939; block 30-32, building 1A, on the corner of Palace Green and Prince George Streets.
1707/1767; in 1707 "one good dwelling house [was . . .] built" on lot 24 by James Shields; in 1707 the property conveyed to William Byrd; Alexander Purdie bought it in 1767; current structure was reconstructed in 1951; today serves as east wing of King's Arms Tavern although was originally separate, building 28A , lot 24 on block 9 on the south side of East Duke of Glouchester Street
William Lightfoot House & Kitchen
1733-40; likely built by planter William Lightfoot; was owned by Philip Lightfoot in the 1740s; there were other buildings on the lot in 1782; restored in 1931 and kitchen reconstructed 1948-49; CW original building; block 11, building 14, lot 13-14, south side of Duke of Glouchester Street between Colonial and Queen Streets.
1712; c. 1755-76; first evidence of a house on the lot owned by silversmith Jacob Flournoy sometime prior to January 31, 1712; at various times there was a wig shop and a tavern on the lot; in 1755 saddle maker Alexander Craig acquired the property; was reconstructed in 1941-42, block 17, building 5, lot 55; CW original building, on north side of Duke of Glouchester Street next to the Raleigh Tavern.
Grissell Hay Lodging/Archibald Blair House
c. 1695; 1707-18; 1750; constructed in this year and enlarged and moved to current site between 1707-18; first hard evidence of a house on the site is 1718; remodeled 1750; first house in Williamsburg owned by William Robertson; owned by Colonel John Gyrmes in 1738; bought by William and Thomas Nelson sometime in 1740s; owned by Alexandar Galt in 1839 but rented by Galt family earlier; restored in 1951-52; block 9, building 7, lots-26-27; CW original building, located on the north side of Francis Street, near Capitol Square.
1706-10; first resident was Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood; first called "palace" in 1714; renovated 1751-52 by Lt. Gov. Robert Dinwiddie; burned 1781 and reconstructed by CW in 1930-34; renovated 1981, interior repainted 2018, Palace Green
1716; 1745-72; 1820; 1900; built by William Timson in 1716 and sold to James Shields in 1717 whose family lived there until 1745; new wing added 1745-72; further changes c. 1820, 1900; acquired by CW in 1969 and renovated in 1996; block 30, building 4, lot 323; CW original building, on the northwest corner of Prince George and Nassau Streets
1716-19; 1750; 1795; 1845; 1890; first house was built by William Levingston on site overlooking the Palace Green; 1750 new wing added and updating by George Gilmer; St. George Tucker moved the house to its current site on NIcholson Street in 1788-92 and oriented it toward Market Square; in 1795 roof raised to two stories and two wings added; roofs of wings and dormers raised in 1845 and other alterations made in 1890; renovated 1930-31 but not fully restored to its 18th century appearance; block 29, building 2, lots 163, 164, 169; CW original building, on Nicholson Street facing the Market Square
John Greenhow House & Store
William Waters (Gill) House
George Reid (Barlow) House
Taliaferro-Cole (Creas) House
Masonic Lodge and Kitchen
William Finnie House (James Semple House) and Quarter
Ayscough House (Gunsmith Shop)
Bracken Tenement and Kitchen (Montague House)
1716-19, evidence of first dwelling on Lot 17 in these years; archaeological evidence shows structure before 1724; 1745 dwelling and apothecary sold by Joanna Archer estate; shop and dwelling owned by Mary Stith, daughter of William Stith, President of William & Mary, before 1810; in 1813 Mary left lot and buildings to her slaves; brick building at front of property was reconstructed as a Tin Shop in 1940; block 10, building 21 & 21A, lot 17, on the south side of Duke of Glouchester Street in the Market Square Area
1719, built by Francis Sharps as a small tavern; tavern keeper Henry Wetherburn bought it 1742; was known as the Red Lion tavern in mid-18th century; town jailor John Crump bought it in 1789 and continued as a tavern; reconstructed in 1941; block 17, building 3B, lot 57, north side of East Duke of Glouchester Street near the Capitol.
1718, first house built by gunsmith John Brush who was the first keeper of Williamsburg's Magazine; Thomas Everard became the owner around 1751; restoration 1948-50; CW original building; block 29, building 10, lot 165, on Palace Green Street
C. 1736; records shows a house on the lot at this date but could have been built earlier; Blaikley was a prominent midwife who purportedly helped to give birth to 3000 children; reconstructed in 1952; block 14, building 16C, on the south side of Duke of Glouchester Street between Henry and Nassau Streets.
1737-40; 1790; built by blacksmith Captain Hugh Orr; merchant George Reid expanded the house around 1790; restored in 1929-1934; block 11, building 11, lot 15; CW original building, on the south side of East Duke of Glouchester Street on the corner of Colonial Street.
C. 1745, modified with a rear entrance and cellar by 1775; likely razed by 1815; reconstructed in 1948-49; current reconstuction based not on original house but features from Powell-Hallam house; block 17, building 31, lot 52, on the north side of East Glouchester Street.
1709/early 18th century; 1746; first dwelling was built in 1709 on this lot by Henry Gill who had been granted lots 49 and 50 in 1707; archaeological research revealed two foundations on lot 50 from the early 18th century that were likely dwellings; two storehouses were built on each of the two lots around 1746; John Holt built a store around 1746; was the residence of chemist and physician Robert Davidson who died in 1738; in 1754 a "gentleman" named William Waters acquired lots 49 & 50 and leased them out; reconstructed on colonial foundations in 1941-42 from evidence of the house's appearance in 1806; block 18-2, building 2A, lot 50, on the north side of Duke of Glouchester Street.
1738-42; 1750; in 1738 Henry Wetherburn bought two lots across the street from Raleigh Tavern and began to build a house; in 1742 Wetherburn who had been the tavern keeper at Raleigh converted his house into a tavern; a "great room" was added to the tavern in 1750; the Ohio Land Company held meetings in this room; rented as a tavern 1760s-80s; restored in 1966-68;; block 9, building 31, lot 20-21; CW original building, on the south side of East Duke of Glouchester Street.
1752-55 (1717-19?); built by Philip Ludwell III, a wealthy planter and owner of Green Spring and member of the Governor's Council; at least one structure was built on the lot previosly, possibly in 1717-19; there is a reference to a house owned by Philip Ludwell II on the lot being a "common rendezvous" in 1718. William Rind operated a press on the premises in the 1760s and 1770s; the house was owned by Hannah and William Lee, brother of Richard Henry Lee, in the late 18th century, but they lived mostly in Europe at the time; fine example of early Georgian architecture and was the first house puchased by Rockefeller for restoration by CW; restored in 1931; block 18, lot 45; CW original building, on the north side of Duke of Glouchester Street.
Before 1753/mid-18th century; 1809-12; a small wooden house was built before 1753; Samuel Cobbs had received lot 162 in 1716; by 1777 the house on the lot had grown into a large dwelling with numerous outbuildings; the current brick house was built on the earlier foundation in 1809-12; partially restored in 1929 and fully restored in 1939 when the smaller structure was reconstructed into the house; block 19, building 13, lot 162; CW original building, facing Market Square with a door opening onto Duke of Glouchester Street.
1710-15; 1738/1755; evidence of first dwelling on the lot is 1710; current house built by lawyer John Palmer in 1755 after a previous structure on the site burned;
there is evidence of a "well finished brick house" on the lot in 1738 likely owned by Alexander Kerr; John Palmer acquired the property in 1749 and a store or shop burned in 1754; the earlier brick house burned on April 24, 1754 and Palmer built the new house a year after that; Palmer mortgaged the property to George Wythe in 1753; Palmer died in 1760 and house leased out after that; CW original building, block 9,building 24, lot 27, on the south side of East Duke of Glouchester Street near the Capitol.
Listed in chronological order according to evidence of first dwellings on lots
1751-52; 1766-82; 1788; 1840; east side passage house was completed by the leading tailor in Williamsburg Robert Nicolson in 1751-52; extended in 1766 and the west side of the house completed before 1782; repairs and modifications made in 1788 and 1840; Nicolson used the house to take in lodgers; later in life Nicolson became a "merchant" and in 1775 was named a public agent procuring materials such as brass for arms for the colony; he died in 1797; house was restored in 1940 and acquired by CW in 1966; renovations made in 1981; block 7, building 12, lot 26; CW original building, on east side of York Street.
1755/1708?; late 18th century; early 19th century; original part of current house was built around 1755; there may have been an earlier dwelling built around 1708 on the lots owned by William Sherman that has disappeared; the connecting wing between the center and office is likely late 18th century; the center two story portion was added in the first half of the 19th century; restored 1928; 1932-61; CW original building, on east Nicholson Street next to the Public Gaol and across the street from the Capitol.
1750s, house was likely built; the structure comprising the house and store was reconstructed in 1953 on lot after Travis house was torn down; it is the most completely reconstructed 18th century commercial space reconstructed in CW; block 13-2, building 23E, lot 159, south side of Duke of Glouchester Street near and across from the Palace Green.
C. 1760; Greenhow Brick Office behind the Greenhow Tenement (currently the Weaver's Shop built in the late 18th century) was possibly a combined store and dwelling in the 1760s owned by John Greenhow; was restored in 1948; block 13-2, building 20, lot 160; CW original building, on south side of Duke of Glouchester Street behind the Weaver's and Shoemakers shops.
1717-19, earliest part of the house possibly built by Samuel Hyde on lot first owned by Williams Timson and then later by James Shield; owned by the Packe family from 1729-55; acquired by Dr. George Pitt in 1757-58 and sold to John Dixon in 1774; was often used as a shop including apothecary, milliner and watchmaking; burned in 1896; block 18, lot 47, building 4B; reconstructed in 1936; on the north side of Duke of Glouchester Street at the corner of Colonial Street across from the Prentis Store.
Before 1717, a small brick house "with a handsome garden" known as Custis Square was built by Colonel John Custis IV who owned the property until 1749 when it was inherited by Daniel Parke Custis, Martha Washington's first husband; George and Martha Washington may have spent their honeymoon at the house; in 1810 a new kitchen was built partially on top of the original kitchen; the house burned in the early 19th century possibly around 1820; in 1843 the lot became the site of the Eastern State Hospital, which was a mental institution; the remaining 19th century kitchen stood in a courtyard of the Asylum; the kitchen still stands and its exploration is part of a CW archaeological project; the kitchen is a CW original building; block 4, lots 1-8; Custis Square is located at 202 West Francis Street.
1716-19/1761-62, current house was built in 1761-62 as a stately new residence by James Geddy, Jr., a successful businessman and Williamsburg's best known silversmith; there is evidence of a dwelling or structure had been built on the lot by Samuel Cobbs in 1716-17; the current house was built on top of an earlier dwelling owned by Geddy's parents' which was torn down; there is evidence of a house on the lot in 1738; the low pitched roof and lack of dormers of the 1762 house makes the design unique in Williamsburg; the house was one of the first restored by CW in 1930; there were many outbuildings most of which were restored in 1932; the east silversmith shop was reconstructed in 1954; CW original building; block 19, building 11, lot 161-62, on the corner of Duke of Glouchester Street and the Palace Green across from Bruton Parish.
1762-65/1794-95; Burgess Edward Champion Travis built the western portion of this house between 1762-65 on the site of the Eastern State Hospital; sometime later a second room was added and in 1794-95 a third; the house was at one time the residence of the hospital's superintendent; Confederate firebrand Edmund Ruffin married Susan Travis in the house in 1811; CW moved the restored house from its original location to the south side of Duke of Glouchester Street opposite the Palace Green in 1951 and ran it as a restaurant; it was later moved back to its present location on top of its original foundation; was restored in 1929-30; block 13-2, building 23-A, lot 159; CW original building, on West Francis Street at the corner of Henry Street.
C. 1755/1749?; before 1782; front wing before 1782; there was likely a brick building and possibly a dwelling on the lot as early as 1749 when Mann Page sold a large tract of land to wheelright Benjamin Waller; carpenter and builder Benjamin Powell acquired the property in 1763; the front frame of the house was added before 1782 to the older original brick house in the back; the small brick office structure next to the house was probably an office used by Benjamin Waller's son, Dr. Robert Waller; the kitchen was built between 1820-40 while other outbuildings may have been slightly earlier; house was restored in 1955-56; house, dairy, office, kitchen and smokehouse are CW original buildings, on the east side of Waller Street north of Christiana Campbell's Tavern.
C. 1760s or early 1770s; 1796; earliest evidence of ownership of the lot is in 1761 when a deed shows that Dudley Diggs had conveyed the property to merchant William Withers sometime before 1761; Apothecary William Carter or blacksmith James Anderson likely erected the current house as a rental property in the 1760s or early 1770s; it was altered over the years and reached its current dimensions by 1796; the owner in 1796 was Dr. Philip Barraud who had served in the army during the Revolutionary War; the house was restored in 1942 and 1987; block 10, building 1, lot 19; CW original building, on the north side of Francis Street on the corner of Botetourt Street.
Mid-18th century; c. 1770; archaeological investigations conducted in 1940 revealed two large buildings and numerous outbuildings on this lot including a kitchen and ice house; the brick foundation of what was believed to be a dwelling was found as well; George Davenport may have bought the property in the 1750s and his descendents owned the property until 1779 when it was sold to the blacksmith John Draper; there is clear evidence of house owned by the Davenports on this lot in 1770; the house was reconstructed based on archaeological investigations in 1950; block 8, building 27, on the north side of Francis Street at the corner of Waller Street.
Possibly 1749-50 or 1770; most official CW reports claim the house was constructed by William Allen in 1770; however, a dendrochronological study concluded it was built in 1749-50; in 1771 it was bought by Willilam Byrd III who possessed it for only six years; the son of one of the wealthiest planters in Virginia, William Byrd II, Byrd III was notorious gambler, terrible businessman and staunch Tory during the Revolution who, unable to cope with his debts and his social isolation, committed suicide in 1777; fomerly known as the Griffin House, block 5, building 1; CW original building, 410 West Francis Street on the south side of Francis Street between the College of William and Mary and South Henry Street
C. 1708; 1855; John Redwood, the keeper of the public gaol, had a wooden dwelling house on this lot plus outhouses as early as May 1708; the property came into the possessions of the Ludwells in the 1720s; wheelwright and riding chair maker Peter Powell rented a shop from 1755-1770 on the lot that was sometimes called "Paradise;" a new house was erected on the lot in 1855; the old building was reconstructed in 1934; block 8, building 11C, lot 61, on pathway west of Waller Street northeast of the Capitol.
C. 1770-71, house likely built in these years by William Pasteur, a leading apothecary; the two story block and two one story wings were often copied as a style in Virginia; the house was owned from 1770s and 1780s by William Finnie, a quartermaster general of the Southern Department during the Revolution; the small building next to the house is called the William Finnie Quarters; there has been speculation that Thomas Jefferson may have inspired the design but no proof exists of this claim; both the house and the quarters are CW original buildings; the house and quarters were restored in 1932 and 1952; block 2, building 7, lots 257-58, on the south side of Francis Street south of the Capitol.
Lightfoot (Allen-Byrd) Tenement
C. 1775-78; John Lockley, a painter, plasterer, boarding house owner, barkeeper, merchant, and general entrepreneur, is the first documented occupant of the site; he was a resident of Williamsburg as early as 1773 but the first documentary evidence of Lockley having an establishment on Nicolson Street is in 1775; the first known record of Lockley residing on Lot 41 is in July 1778; Lockley sold the two lots to Wyatt Coleman in 1785; the property became part of the Coleman estate in 1798 from which James Moir bought it by 1801; the Frenchman's map showed the house was located at the corner of the Duke of Glouchester and South Henry Streets; the site was first investigated in 1950 by James Knight and a new archaeological investigation was undertaken in 1976; block 14, Area E; today the site is occupied by a CW visitors center to serve the Merchants Square area at the corner of Duke of Glouchester and South Henry Streets.
C. 1767; first documentary evidence of a tenement for rent on the lot is in 1767; house was possibly built by Benjamin Waller who may have owned the lot before 1749 and conveyed it with the house to tailor David Morton in 1777; evidence of repairs from 1776-89 exist; remained in the name of David Morton until 1820; burned sometime after Civil War; reconstruction begun 1953 based on archaelogical research and historical evidence; there is a reconstructed shop today on the property; block 7, building 15A-E, lot 23; used as a hotel facility by CW with a garden based on old maps and archeaological investigations, on the east side of South Waller Street.
1677/late 17th century/1753-66; the first wood dwelling on this property was built by James Bray around 1677 in what was then known as the Middle Plantation; sometime later the Brays built a brick house on the lot; the current structure was built by Colonel Philip Johnson between 1753-1766 on the foundations of the earlier brick house; it was acquired by CW in 1927 and became a home for the Rockefellers in 1936; the house was first restored in 1928 by the Rockefellers and was bequeathed to CW in 1979; in 2000-2002 the house and gardens underwent a complete restoration; CW original building, south of the historic area off Francis Street at the end of Bassett Hall Drive.
1760s; built as a two story lodging house in the early 1760s, it was rebuilt in 1939 as a one story house now used as a hotel facility; block 10, building 10-B, lots 18 & 19, on the south side of the Duke of Glouchester Street on the corner of Botetourt Street.